Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Top Five Favorite Breads

My husband and his friends have this insane love for creating Top Five lists. I don't mean they simply enjoy them, it's an honest-to-God obsession. So when my husband saw that I was compiling this blog, he insisted I put together my Top Five Favorite Breads. As much as I usually resist these things, this one was right up my alley. So here we are:

1. Homemade Country-Style White - there is just something so wholesomely simple and heartwarming about a good, soft, thick white bread. The versatility just adds to its appeal. This type of bread makes amazing French Toast, great open-faced sandwiches, or simply bread and butter with dinner or tea. In my book, nothing beats it.

2. English Muffins - Honestly, who doesn't love English Muffin pizzas? Or homemade Egg McMuffins? Or open-faced English Muffin tuna melts? Need I go on? These little yeasty rounds are an indispensable staple of my diet.

3. Challah (or Egg Bread) - I've made Challah several times now and am still surprised each time a loaf comes out of the oven at just how beautiful it really is. The texture of this bread is so light, yet rich and flavorful. The French Toast that this bread yields should be a sin.

4. Banana Bread - I'm not sure much needs to be said for Banana Bread, it really speaks for itself. This cake-y dessert bread has the power to turn any house into a home with just a whiff. And have I mentioned it makes excellent French Toast?

5. Marble Rye - I have yet to attempt a marble rye recipe, but that day will come. I've always been someone who appreciates a good deli sandwich, and if you ask me, they just aren't complete without two slices of this gorgeous bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment